Peaceful Interlude

Johnson Mesa, northeast New Mexico

Can’t complain about the traffic here

Here, have a Johnson Mesa view from my trip to northeast New Mexico almost two weeks ago. The mesa is one of the strangest places I’ve ever been and well worth your time. I probably won’t be back there anytime soon, however, unless I can figure out a way to visit Capulin Volcano without staying or eating in Raton. For the record, the abandoned barn above is emblematic and more favorably situated. I tried to swap our lodgings with the cows, but they refused!

• Carmel Glover August 23, 2016, 2:36 AM

Fabulous photo!

• JHF August 23, 2016, 1:12 PM

What do you like about it?

• Carmel Glover August 23, 2016, 8:05 PM

The feeling of space, without actually showing a lot of space. The scale does it … that one small building (beautifully placed, by the way) against the empty sky, with the line of white clouds leading up to the house from the left. It says a lot with a little.

• Mesa August 23, 2016, 12:32 PM

That’s those enormous blue skies of New Mexico that make you feel small & grand at the same time. The Mongolians referred to theirs as The Eternal Blue Sky. (Digging on lots of Genghis & Kublai Khan history lately)

• JHF August 23, 2016, 1:11 PM

I’ve never been to Mongolia, but from the little I’ve seen in photographs and read about it, there are more than a few similarities with parts of northern New Mexico.

The skies are definitely the thing here. Over and over, I’m stunned and amazed. But they’ve never made me feel small, rather privileged to be a witness. In fact, I think I’ll walk outside right now!

• Marti Fenton August 23, 2016, 5:05 PM

I like the proportions; more sky than land and land nearly as unhindered as the sky. I find myself taking more photos of sky than land.

• Marti Fenton August 23, 2016, 5:07 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention; I’m sure I have a past life or parallel life in Mongolia.