Happy Easter Cactus

Saguaro National Park, Tucson, AZ

Saguaro National Park, Tucson, AZ

At least it’s colorful, if not from here, so please enjoy. Oh, and did I just post another screed and take it down immediately? Right. As soon as I find a 24-hour post delay plugin, this damn thing is gonna rock! Have a great day, and I’ll be back later. Wish I had some ice-cold vodka. Damn.

• Sunday Tidwell March 31, 2013, 1:02 PM

You did. Loved the irony of the big blooming cactus and the “d_ckless decorum.” Anyway, beautiful picture. And I liked your post the way it was: )
    Day before yesterday’s portrait has me thinking about an old blog post of yours. The picture from the old blog post contained a painting of a cat that your late sister had painted. Was she, by chance, an art teacher? I once had an art teacher named Mary, and she looked like YOU! That was 25 years ago in Lubbock.

• JHF March 31, 2013, 1:14 PM

I nailed the audience, all right! My wife would have been embarrassed if I’d left it up unchanged, but that’s not why I canned it. There must be a better way to do this, anyway. Satire isn’t easy.

If your art teacher looked like me, I hope she married a blind guy. 🙂 But no, my sister didn’t teach art. She just lived it!

• James Moore March 31, 2013, 1:06 PM

Not sure why you took it down, unless you were worried about being chastised by “geriatrics.” I thought it was pretty good social commentary on the accidentally rich who like to pretend they are that way because of their intellect and that they deserve their wealth. Of course, Taos is just their little play station to talk about back in their NY and DC salons. Keep writing that stuff, pal.

• JHF March 31, 2013, 1:11 PM

I’m thinking about just turning off all comments. Not sure the conventional wisdom on this score is worth a damn.

• dar March 31, 2013, 1:47 PM

awww, missed It…PTBRs are such f u n, prof John.

• JHF March 31, 2013, 2:18 PM

Old rich idiots with money. The horror of over-60 lilly-white audiences for chamber music concerts. As I put it in the piece, “What we have here is the pickled sociology of a famous small town in a pretty place that has a ski resort and pricey real estate.” The inevitable death of same. Wilderness and 80-year-old hippie friends as saving graces. You probably would have liked it.

• Pascale Soleil March 31, 2013, 9:05 PM

Thanks for your email, JHF. I like the photograph very much and am glad to see it return.