One of Us Is Crazy

snowy backyard in Taos, New Mexico

The path to the acequia is next

It can’t be her, obviously. She is my sunshine. Every day I plunge my miserable soul into the neon plasma and begin again. Sometimes it doesn’t take, and I scuttle around the floor of my invisible cage like Kafka’s cockroach. Like when I consider that she could have had anything, and she chose me. Mostly, though, I’m stunned and beaten up with all this light.

“Stop and let me take your picture,” I called out.

“Okay, here I am with my rifle,” she said.

She has a rifle, actually. A beautiful Iver Johnson single-shot .410 shotgun that belonged to her mother. One day early on her father took her mother out hunting with the then-new gun. Pulling the trigger for the first time, she shot a squirrel right out of the tree. “Okay, that’s it,” she said, and put the weapon down.

Only reason I’m alive, boys, only reason I’m alive.

»Buy This Image!«

• FW March 9, 2013, 1:42 PM

Wonderful picture John..!! If we were all so lucky..!!
    Cheers…

• JHF March 9, 2013, 2:09 PM

I take it you’re referring to the scenery, or are most men’s wives more homicidal? But thank you. Rule of thirds, a little HDR in Photoshop, and danged New Mexico. All I have to do is pull the lens cap off and shoot.

• mj March 9, 2013, 3:51 PM

She’s a cutie in that very stylish leopard vest sweeping the snow! I imagine she keeps you in check!

• terri March 10, 2013, 12:52 AM

I could read posts about her loveliness all day long. Very styling in the snow. Now I can see why you’ve been able to bear those cold, drafty, dark adobes up in Taos!

• JHF March 10, 2013, 7:59 AM

Actually, it’s not drafty, except around the door frames. Somewhat dark, although this one does have bigger windows than most. Cold? Wellll… depends on how I run the wood stove and which part of the place one hangs out in. Basically, we’re quite toasty, much warmer than in our old wooden farmhouse back in MD.

The bearing is more psychological, but you’re right. 🙂

• terri o March 17, 2013, 12:35 AM

ah, good corrections, all, I’m thinking of Santa Fe adobes! I hope the shopping trip means we’ll see more of Ms. JHF 🙂

• Ken Webb March 10, 2013, 3:49 AM

You’re always touchingly consistent on this point. Bravo! Choosing the right mate is about 90 percent of the deal in any life.

• Karen Streaker March 11, 2013, 4:47 AM

Wow! What a bright and lively photo! Such a fresh feeling. Your wife is a blessing to you and it is heartening for me to read how much you appreciate her….a big plus in anyone’s relationship…lucky lady…..

• theo March 17, 2013, 8:55 PM

Thank you, John. Just coming back from a St.Paddy’s day show with two of my favorite musicians – Steve Pineo and Tim Williams. Well liquored and feeling a little melancholy. Is that an Irish thing? 🙂 Great photo.

Be the first to hear of new books! I won't contact you for any other reason. More information here.

Author Action Links

Contact me via email
Follow me on Twitter + Instagram
View my Amazon Author Page
Visit my video channel at YouTube
Buy website photos at SmugMug